Thursday, May 05, 2011

Nkosi sikelel' iAfrika

Holly picked me up this morning and Remi drove us to project. We were a couple minutes later than yesterday so the children were singing the South African National Anthem when we got there. The song is actually pretty long, and very beautiful, but the children only sang the first two verses in Xhosa and Zulu.


The weather was colder today than it had been yesterday so we didn't get to go outside for outdoor play and exercises. You could tell that the children had a lot of energy from being in the same room for almost the entire day.

I gave the lesson to Shirley and Lulu after lunch, while the children were napping. Today I talked about ringworm and oral hygiene, which were both subjects Shirley had requested. Shirley had lots of questions about oral hygiene and she said one of the children at Masi had ringworm once before. A lot of the stray animals that wander around the township had ringworm and since it's zoonotic, people can catch it much quicker than they might think. Holly interjected and said that some of the previous volunteers had caught ringworm from the children and then from each other since we're all living together.

When I got back to Kinrae after project I was locked out because of a perpetual key shortage. I walked down to the internet cafe in Valyland to pass the time and later Holly came to get me when she was done at Erica and we were able to get in because everyone else had gotten back from Westlake.

Jodie and I were on dinner duty tonight. We heated up the chicken curry and made the salad for everyone. Tonight we're going out to the Vic for drinks with all the coordinators, volunteers and some of the local guys we've been hanging out with.

Holly has asked if I would write a blog post for GVI about my experience on the medical project. I'm not sure how to condense all of my thoughts into 100 words. And yet, truthfully, there are no words to describe what it feels like being here.

No comments:

Post a Comment